Wednesday 30 November 2011

The Real Medical Sufe!

I'm so excited, alhamdulillah. The real medical (more surgical) sufi has been found.

I was sat in an orthopaedic (bone stuff) clinic at the children's hospital yesterday, with far too many surgeons grilling me with mean anatomy questions that I had no clue about. Thankfully a nice one took pity on me, and saved me many a time. (I genuinely have forgotten basic Year 1 stuff, it seems!)

Anyway, putting aside the thrills of scary clinics, the nice surgeon told me something amazing!

There's a condition/injury in paediatric orthopaedics known as: the SUFE! (pronounced sufi!). As soon as he said: "and this is what we call a sufi" I was captivated! It stands for 'slipped upper femoral epiphysis'. 

It basically happens in the hip joint of kids. Their bones are obviously still growing, and particularly weak at the ends. It is when the top part of the 'ball' (called the epiphysis: where bones grow) slips off from the rest of the ball, in a backward and downward direction, and causes a lot pain. If undetected, and untreated, it will lead to a lot of bad stuff like abnormal growth.



However, hopefully the scary-but-full-of-excellent-banter surgeons will fix it with some screws and make everything okay, by the permission of Allah!

No comments:

Post a Comment