Sunday 30 January 2011

Human voices

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea.
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.
- T.S. Eliot.

Out of the comfort of the ocean of reliance and back into the minds of people and your own thoughts.

Human voices wake us, and it really is too much.

The poem I’ve quoted is absolutely epic. The protagonist (Prufrock) is this ridiculously socially inept man, whose paranoia and absolute lack of self-worth is endearing. He seeks refuge in his fantasies of swimming with mermaids because the idea of attempting to even converse with a real woman is so fearful. He is forever afraid of being mocked, laughed at, and above all misunderstood - “that is not what I meant at all” – he repeats.

Subhan Allah. We’re all struggling to be understood, but really there is no need.

قد كفاني علم ربي  

Sufficient for me is my Lord’s Knowledge [of my state].

No comments:

Post a Comment